Thursday, February 12, 2009

Happy One Week Birthday!!

Believe it or not, our boys are one week old today! I had a nice, long visit with them today and they are doing great! Nicolas is virtually cord-free. His infection is gone and he doesn't need IV fluids since he is receiving so much of my milk around the clock. The main skill he is working on right now is eating/suckling. He has taken some of my milk through a bottle, but couldn't finish it. I attempted to nurse him today and while he seemed happy, it will take a little while for him to get the hang of it. Once we stopped, he seemed to be in state of euphoria! He kept his eyes open for quite a while and just kept looking around, excitedly thinking about what the near future holds for him! Jeff and I both agree that he has a nice, big, round Fassett head. Jeff also thinks his eyes are green. Oh, he has now reached the five pound mark!

Blake is now taking my milk too, just at a lower dose for the time being. He is digesting it well so we are all happy about that. The nurses have assured us that he will start gaining weight quickly now since my milk has more calories than what he was getting before. He has the most angelic face ever and I could stare at him for hours!

I came home on Tuesday afternoon. I am slowly healing and becoming more independent. The dogs are happy that I am home but they seem to know that something isn't quite right. I am hoping to be able to drive early next week. Jeff and I went out to eat yesterday, which kind of felt like a first date to us! (even though it was only Topper's Pizza) We plan on going on a "real" date on Saturday for Valentine's Day. It might be the last one for a little while!

So for now, my days are filled with pumping milk for the boys, eating enough to produce enough milk, and getting it to the hospital in time for their next feeding! We apologize in advance if phone calls/ emails aren't returned for a while!

Again, thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers. We truly feel blessed.

Love to all,
Rebeca

No comments: